Getting students of all ages motivated in the classroom often requires a lot of thought and will be unique to the subject area and the types of students you teach. But in general, for younger students, there are a few best practices to consider to keep them engaged and ready to learn during lesson time.
3 Best Practises For Improving Student Engagement
1. Use A Variety Of Teaching Methods
If you always rely on the same teaching methods, students can begin to lose interest. Therefore, the more variety and creativity in your teaching methods, whilst being mindful of different learning styles and behaviours when planning lessons, the more effective your classes should be.
It’s also important to get students up and moving, the variety in activity and pace will keep them on their toes and more interested in the purpose of your lesson. This may include:
- Station rotation – different areas have different activities to complete.
- Ask students to brainstorm on the whiteboard
- Ask students to move to an area in the classroom to indicate their thoughts on an issue (e.g. everyone who thinks X, move to this corner).
2. Utilise Technology
Technology is fun and engaging for students outside of school, so it should also be seen this way as a part of the school environment. Technology is not only enjoyable but can also appeal to many different learning styles.
Lesson content could come in a variety of different mediums, including video, audio, and digital resources.
Utilising technology enables a direct connection to the digital world children live in as well as providing a welcome change from the stacks of paper our students are used to.
Read more: Innovative IT Facilities For Schools
3. Embrace Collaborative Learning
Collaborative learning is a great way to increase engagement when completing learning activities. When students work effectively with others, they are likely to be more engaged, mostly due to experiencing a sense of connection to others during classroom activities.
How Can A Modular Classroom Benefit Your School?
Finding ways to engage all students can be a challenge. With a little bit of creativity and effort, the perfect building space and resources can really help pave the way for an engaged class.
Our classrooms offer a bright, airy and stimulating learning environment for your pupils, with internal and external design chosen by you. They are also building regulation compliant, energy-efficient and produced in our ISO-approved workshop in St Helens and can be delivered anywhere across mainland UK.
Portable classrooms have distinct advantages for schools in comparison to a traditional build, such as being environmentally friendly. Be we often find that the top three are:
- Fast turnaround times: We can deliver your portable classroom in just a few weeks if needs be.
- Lower costs: Our off-site methods mean that costs for portable classrooms are much cheaper in comparison to traditional builds.
- Less disruption: Portable classrooms are constructed off-site and delivered to be installed at your school. This means we will only need to be on-site for a matter of days, limiting the disruption to your pupils.
Take a look at our short video for further reasons: Springfield’s Modular Buildings For Schools.
We have a wealth of experience and expertise when it comes to providing modular classrooms across the UK, so if you’d like some more information on projects we have previously successfully delivered, explore our case studies, testimonials and brochure.
Published: Aug 27 2021 in Sectors