Sustainability is an ever-present factor within the construction industry, and as the demand for construction increases, so does the importance of being conscious of how buildings are created. In this article, we look at the importance of sustainability in construction through upcycling older buildings, as our industry works hard to minimise time, costs and environmental impact.
The Environmental Benefits Of Modular Construction
We have previously discussed the many environmental benefits of modular construction, such as:
- Reduced room for error
- Reduced lead times
- Reduced construction cost
- Reduction in material waste
- Green fixtures, fittings and finishes
- Reduction in energy use for construction and onwards
- Reduced transport-related impact
- Support for the reduce, reuse and recycle initiative
- Reduced disruption
- Increased adaptability to existing surroundings
- Insulation that reduces energy needs
- Increased architectural creativity
To this list, we can now add upcycling!
If you’d like to read more about each of these unique benefits, take a look at our recent articles:
- Getting School Building Programmes Back On Track: The Environmental Benefits Of Modular Construction
- Construction 2025: How Green Is Modular Construction?
- Modular Construction: Saving Money and the Environment
- Low Carbon Construction: Making Educational Establishments Greener
Reusing Modular Buildings
Upcycling can be considered as “breathing new life into older buildings”. This could go further than an internal refit or refurbishment, it could be completely changing the identity of the building. For example, converting a modular classroom used in a primary school to an office block or staffroom, fit for a team of employees in just about any sector. Simply, whether you’re creating a colourful primary school or a more prestigious development, it’s always possible to create the right building based on the space you require.
This is not only a fantastic benefit of modular construction in terms of sustainability, but also in terms of speed and cost; you’d be surprised at the time scale needed to transform a building!
It’s sustainable, practical and cost-effective. Upcycling projects can deliver imaginative and inspiring buildings that will last for decades. You can find out more about how environmentally conscious Springfield are on at our sustainability page.
Sustainable Modular Buildings From Springfield
If you’d like some further information on projects we have previously successfully delivered, take a look at our case studies, testimonials and brochure. Or, to get in contact with our expert team for a friendly discussion, give us a call on 01744 851 958, fill out our contact form or request a call back, we would love to work with you to create your ideal building whether it’s an upcycle or a brand new, bespoke space.
Published: Sep 17 2021 in Building Types